Out on Sunday logo
Malcolm and John
The walk is about 5 miles all on good paths and tracks [occasional mud, puddles and stony sections] with a couple of short, fairly gentle ascents. The very varied scenery includes: a riverside walk; wooded Healey Dell nature reserve [including the Fairies’ Chapel] where the river Spodden has cut a spectacular gorge; the small “Scottish glen “where Hopwood Hall is located; Man Stone Edge with Pennine views; and the conservation area of Whitworth village square, home of the renowned 19th century Whitworth Doctors.
Bring a packed lunch as there is nothing en route. The Red Lion Inn [1679 date stone] in Whitworth Square near the end of the walk has outside seating, serves food and has cask ale. There is Basil’s English restaurant too on the main road.
Start Point and Time
Meet at 12.30 in the centre of Whitworth on the A671 to Bacup at its junction with Hall St. by the Tattoo Studio. Postcode OL12 8TL and Grid ref. 885177
Directions to Start
To reach Whitworth leave the M62 at J.20 heading for Rochdale. From the A58 Littleborough/Todmorden road near the centre of Rochdale, get onto the A671 towards Bacup/Burnley for about 3 miles. In Whitworth, you will see on the right a large white ex-pub, now Basil’s restaurant. The Tattoo Studio and Hall St. are immediately on the left. Turn left into Hall St and there is plenty of on-street parking especially fist left on Massey Croft by the old folks’ home. 
On the day call 07986778024